January 13, 2007

Pardon my poetic moment...

Nate is away on business for an extended weekend, so I bought a book to fill the sudden increase in down time. When Crickets Cry was recommended several months ago by a girl I went to college with, and I'm just now getting around to testing it out...so far, 37 pages in, I am intrigued by the story line and seriously impressed with the author's talent. He reminds me of my friend Rebekah, whose blog (linked at right) will confirm everything I am about to say about her. She is one of those writers who can say a truckload in the space of a sparkplug. Her words are so perfectly chosen and ordered that with just a few lines, you almost feel as if you'd walked through the experience right next to her. I've always been very impressed with her skill, and the author of this book expresses the same skill but in a very poetic manner...not just because the main character is quoting Shakespeare and the Psalms every other page, but just in the descriptive writing.

For example, here is his description of one of the secondary characters of the book: "No makeup. Strong back, long lines. Rigid and stern, but also graceful. Cold but quietly beautiful. Complicated and busy, but also in need. More like an onion than a banana. Her eyes looked like the green that sits just beneath the peel of an avocado, and her lips like the red part of the peach that sits up next to the seed...'Beauty is mysterious as well as terrible. God and devil are fighting there, and the battlefield is the heart of man.'" I must have read that paragraph six or seven times. Great description. And I love the poetic quotes, although it is going to take me forever to read this book because I have to read the quotes several times to (a) understand them and (b) realize their relevance to the story. Oooh, a challenge. Love those.

Anyway, after reading that chapter, I set the book down and just sat there, feeling all poetic and everything, and Jasper came walking up, asking for a belly rub. He actually climbed into my lap--which he takes up more than all of...he hangs off all sides and it's more like I'm pinned beneath him than he is snuggling in my lap--and I tried to think of how I would blog about that moment in a very poetic manner. Obviously, I cannot even produce pre-meditated poetic writing. But it was a nice moment and helped me miss Nate a little bit less.

Check out Bek's blog and experience some great writing. :)

8 comments:

rebekah said...

haha -- i just wandered onto your blog, looked down, and saw my name. thanks for the compliment -- but you are a little crazy :) if you EVER pass even remotely close to TN you need to call me -- i would love to have a cup of coffee with you :) i hope things are well -- here is a big hug. miss you.

rebekah said...

okay, i just had a thought funnier than the first, what if i am not the so-named bek?

haha... i made myself look really stupid -- well, and stole someone else's compliment.

okay, bye.

:)

Amy said...

love this metaphor:

writers who can say a truckload in the space of a sparkplug

not bad, yourself :)

if you're lonely and bored, CALL ME! soon!

Unknown said...

Yes, Bekah, you are THE Bek. :) I don't foresee me nearing any part of Tennessee anytime in the next decade or so, but it sure would be nice to see you again!! Somehow we'll work something out. :)

Amy, I rather liked that metaphor also. Thanks for the compliment!

Amy said...

you're welcome :)

don't forget you have not one but TWO important reasons to make a trip to middle Tennessee...just sayin'...

Amy said...

er. maybe that didn't come across how I meant it...argh, dontcha hate that about blogging/commenting?

I didn't mean, "hey, hey, what about me, don't forget ME"...I meant, "I'm seconding the vote for you to come to Tennessee--since you have not just one but two friends who love you here" :)

Nate said...

haha...i knew what you meant. ;) love you!

Boswell said...

When Crickets Cry is a fantastic book.