July 30, 2008

How did that happen?

I guess it happens to everyone at some point...maybe women are just more aware of it than men...but I don't think anyone is ever really prepared for it.

I'm talking about that single moment in which you look in the mirror and don't recognize the person looking back. I had that moment just now, in the bathroom of the nursing building. I looked up from washing my hands (while singing Happy Birthday, to make sure I washed long enough...I'm such a dork) and was almost frightened by the reflection. Bags under my eyes, lines in places that didn't used to have lines, a deer-in-the-headlights look in my eyes, and really poorly-styled hair that needs a good cut. This semester has really taken a toll on me, I guess. It's a good thing that nursing school is preparing me to make good money because I'm going to need it to start doing more self-maintenance.

I just handed in an essay that will count for a good chunk of my grade for the summer. I have to say, while everyone else has been freaking out about having to write a 5-page paper (which is NOT a big deal), and making sure their APA format is correct, I actually really enjoyed the assignment. The topic of the paper was not one I would have chosen myself, but the task of writing is one that I know I can complete...I am confident in my ability to write, especially when I have time to draft and revise. The essay was probably one of the first assignments this summer that I actually felt certain I could and would earn a good grade on. It is nice to finally find a piece of nursing school I know I can do well.

I'm almost done for the summer...one more week, and then I have a few weeks of vacation to relax, recoup, and re-energize. "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can," said the little blue engine...

4 comments:

Jamie Hilty said...

Maria, I know that your skills mastery is today and I hope it's going well...and you'll be able to breathe and relax in a few hours. You can do this...and the hospital where you eventually work will be a much better place because you're there.

On a funnier? note, I look in the mirror and see the same thing...gray hairs, extra me, and less naivete, and I wonder where in the world I've gone...and if I'll ever get back there again. You aren't alone...

B,P,R,S & L said...

After teaching for 6 years, I am stopping to stay home with our girls, and I don't regret it at all. Teacher days start at my old school system and KY and I am relieved that I am not there. I also look in the mirror and almost don't recognize myself, but that is also good. I am growing in so many ways. Some ways I want to reverse, and other ways I am looking forward to.
Good luck with the end of your semester!!

Anonymous said...

Maria and Nate,
August 7th was yesterday! You made it thru this session! Keep going - you can do it. I believe in you more than ever before. Stay in touch and let me know where God's will is leading you. Prof. Miller

Anonymous said...

Nathan,
Congrats on earning our degree today. I was in Marion to play for the commencements. Prof.M