September 08, 2006

Sometimes it bothers me that people tend to comment more on the pointless or strictly-for-entertainment blog entries...not just mine, but all across the board...but they remain unnervingly quiet on the more in-depth and/or controversial blogs. Anytime people write about a certain stand they are taking or Biblical truths they are grasping and/or struggling with and/or feel deeply about, the "comments" section is pathetically empty.

I am guilty of being a non-commenter on the deeper blog entries. Sometimes I disagree with the post and am afraid to voice my opinion, sometimes I agree and just find it redundant to comment about it, and sometimes, I will confess, I do not comment because I have skipped over that particular entry, feeling like it was going to take too much work to read the whole thing and think through it.

I would guess that many people have these same feelings, and that drives me crazy. It is so frustrating to walk around needing depth in my life and have conversations with people who are feeling the same loss, yet when we are actually confronted with depth, we avoid it. Because it is safer. Easier.

Grrr.

4 comments:

Amy said...

hmm. you're right...the posts on my blog that get the most replies are the silly ones...whereas the ones I hope will hit a nerve are met with chirping crickets.

when I don't comment, it isn't because I didn't read the deeper post. but I think you're onto something with the observation that "it's easier." it's easier for me to shoot off a shallow comment in response to a surfacey post than for me to think through and respond thoughtfully to a deeper post. I read it, but I don't go the extra step to engage. why do I so often choose the easy way?

this is something to chew on, and maybe write more about at my own blog later.

Deven said...

I think another reason for the lack of response is that while I feel free in a semi-voyeuristic way :) to peek in on your life through a blog, I might not have a deep enough relationship with you where we would have such a conversation. I would fear a response along the lines of "Who are you, and why are you talking to me??" Not that you would think that... Just irrationality in control.

Anonymous said...

Good point, Deven. But I know who you are so that one doesn't work for you. :) It is something to keep in mind, though. Amy, I have to admit a small spark of pride went off when I realized I made you think a little bit! I often feel like I am not at "thoughtful" as you are, and so to have thought of something you would like to further think about is really fun! :)

Amy said...

please. you're silly. I often find you very thoughtful. but I'm flattered by your comment :) love ya!